Further to my confession about the lentil stock pile I have in the kitchen, https://wordpress.com/post/frugalveggie.uk/136 there was no question that when writing the L post for the Blogging from A to Z challenge, Lentils were always going to be the feature of today’s post.
I am a lentil lover, from dhals to dansak, soups, stews, bakes and roasts, lentils can be used for so many delicious dishes. Only this morning I was chatting food with a colleague who was heading home to cook for his wife but unsure what to make… he left with a link to a lentil shepherds pie recipe in his inbox.
So to today’s recipe …
I use dried lentils that I cook according to the instructions on the packet, these could be substituted for tinned lentils. If you don’t have more than one type of lentil don’t panic, one thing I have learned about my cooking style is that I mostly freestyle, if you haven’t got one of the ingredients something else will probably do.
Lentil lovers hot pot (makes 4 individual servings)
40 grams green lentils
40 grams brown lentils
40 grams red lentils
(cooked according to instructions on the packaging and drained)
8-10 New Potatoes (depending on size)
1 Onion – diced
1 large Carrot- diced
2 Celery sticks – diced
8 Mushrooms – diced
2 large cloves of Garlic – crushed
splash of olive oil
1 tbs tomato puree
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp yeast extract
1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 250 mls of boiling water.
salt and pepper to taste
75 grams mature cheddar cheese
- Par boil the new potatoes- drain and allow to cool
- Warm the splash of olive oil in a deep heavy frying pan, gently cook the onion, carrot, celery until the onion begins to become translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic to the pan along with the thyme and parsley, continue to fry gently for 3-5 minutes keeping the heat under the pan low
- Turn the temperature up under the pan add the tomato puree, stock and cooked lentils, bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the lentil mixture is simmering slice the par boiled potatoes thinly.
I choose to serve this in individual portion dishes but you could easily just make it in one big serving dish.
- Spoon the lentil mixture into the oven proof dishes and top with the sliced potato sprinkle grated cheddar over the top.
- Place the hotpot into a pre heated oven (gas mark 6) for 15-20
Our dinner was served with a mixture of green veggies.